Upcoming Events

Jason Kelly Johnson will be running a one-day intensive Firefly/Arduino Workshop "RESPONSIVE BUILDING FACADES" on July 27, 2012 in San Francisco (as a part of the Architect's Newspaper "Art and Science of Building Facades" Symposium.) Register here.

*Read Jason's Hardware Recommendations blog post for 2012-13 Firefly Workshops.  

Are you teaching or participating in a workshop that is using Firefly?  Let us know about it and we'll feature it here on the Firefly website! (info@fireflyexperiments.com)

Discussions > Quadstepper Max Speed

Is there any way to increase the max speed of the quadstepper driver? I'm using stepper motors to drive digital fabrication equipment and need a lot more juice. I have 16V, 4.5A power supply for 3 stepper motors. And I've set the acceleration to the lowest value to get the maximum acceleration, but the max speed is pretty slow. How do I give it a boost?

October 25, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterErick

I now have a Quad Stepper Driver from SparkFun with four Wantai Stepper Motors (2.5 Amps). I was using four Easy Drivers with a 12 Volt / 0.6 Amp power supply and it was not sufficient for my stepper motors to run optimally.

I want to power the Stepper Motors using a 24 Volt / 3.4 Amp power supply.

I am trying to get high speed! Will this power supply destroy my motor driver? The datasheet says that it can provide maximum 2 Amps per motor if heatsink and fan is used.

Can you post a picture of your setup? I think that I will burn out the stepper driver if I use the power supply I just described.

January 29, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterturbo_yerbo

Hey... if the speification of your Driver is 12 V its defently not a good idea using a 24 V input.
I will not destroy it but it will do a selfshutdown...

There are also really qualitiy stepper differnce, still they are selling extremly outdated steppers the have just 50 % performance of the new ones...

try to get a powersupply from farnell oder digi key that fit exactly your needs:

I also had problems with speed high steppers...In the end the problems was:

Arduino onu is just to slow clocked to produce faset enough square waves to speed up the stepper-> use arduino due

The stepper need a least a small minum load on the barrel otherwise they can not speed up.

The whole set should fit 12 V powersupply -> 12 V Driver -> 12 V Stepper

Greetings Raph

January 30, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterRaph

I use two 24 V stepper( Nema 14) from nanotec and a 24 V fix powersupply with 3 A from xp power... with big easy driver
or also the simple driver from nanitec is better with its 2 Amps... for controlling I use Pic 32 or Arduino due.

January 30, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterRaph

Ok I will try my new setup today and soon show my amazing model to the world! Let's hope it works as it is supposed to....

Concept Clip

January 30, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterturbo_yerbo

Hello there!

I am currently using the Quad Stepper Motor Stream component from Firefly in conjunction with the quad stepper sketch on the Arduino Mega 2560 board. I have got all 4 motors working independently and responding to the inputs I am sending.

However, the motors are relatively slow (around 3 seconds per revolution) and even when I increase the speed on the slider, it hardly changes. I was wondering if there is anything that can be changed in the firefly_quadstepper sketch, or in the AccelStepper library sketches that can allow the motors to go faster?

I am currently using the Quadstep Driver from Sparkfun, with a 12V power source, and using these Stepper motors –
http://www.technobotsonline.com/stepper-motor-nema-17-42x34mm-20ncm-200-steps-rev-bi-polar.html

Or if it is a problem of power, or type of motor, could anyone please indicate what options would result in faster speeds?
Thanks in advance for any help! Will be much appreciated :D

Andre

March 23, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterAndre Kong

In my experience the motor driversfrom Sparkfun are too weak. You might try ordering something more robust.

March 23, 2015 | Unregistered Commenterturbo_yerbo