Upcoming Events

Jason Kelly Johnson will be running a one-day intensive Firefly/Arduino Workshop "RESPONSIVE BUILDING FACADES" on July 27, 2012 in San Francisco (as a part of the Architect's Newspaper "Art and Science of Building Facades" Symposium.) Register here.

*Read Jason's Hardware Recommendations blog post for 2012-13 Firefly Workshops.  

Are you teaching or participating in a workshop that is using Firefly?  Let us know about it and we'll feature it here on the Firefly website! (info@fireflyexperiments.com)

Discussions > Firefly on a Mac

Sorry if ths is a repeat. Is it possible to get Firefly working on a mac? I Rhino v5 runs on a mac but what about grasshopper?

October 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterKen

Hi Ken,
As far as I know, Grasshopper is not available on a Mac. I work mostly on a PC, so I haven't followed the Rhino development on a Mac. Here's a link to a discussion on the Grasshopper forum about this topic: http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/grasshopper-for-mac-update?xg_source=activity So, the short answer to your question, is that if Grasshopper doesn't work, then Firefly likely wont work either. At least for the moment.
-Andy

October 26, 2011 | Registered CommenterEditor

Thanks for the quick answer Andy, Thanks for the great demo at the Open Hardware Summit in NYC. Finally getting to try out firefly, I guess it is time to fire up VMware Fusion and work and the PC "side" of my mac.

October 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterKen

Hi Ken,
Glad you're able to try it out. Definitely curious as to what you think. I will say I've found noticeable performance improvements if you can boot directly into Windows OS (via Bootcamp) as opposed to using something like VMware or Parallels. I did a quick test during a workshop on one of the participants machines and noticed about a 7x speed boost in the solution frame-rate when using the native Windows OS. Just thought I would share that tip. Let me know if this is consistent on your machine.
Thanks,
Andy

October 27, 2011 | Registered CommenterEditor

So as of now grasshopper is available on mac in a beta but if I might say so, a very functional beta. Does anyone know how to get firefly working for mac or no chance?

February 21, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterAbraham Gertler